Monday, March 6, 2017

Raising Daughters in Modern Times: Part 1

As you can see this topic is one that I will be writing on at least two, maybe three times, so today I will just start off with the basic thought, discuss it just a little and then elaborate further in the weeks to come.


Recently my youngest daughter was tasked with the job of doing a report on a famous person for school.  She was giving a list of people to choose from and she automatically decided, without even looking at the list, that she wanted to do her report on a famous woman. She narrowed her list down to Betsy Ross, Amelia Earhart, Annie Oakley and Harriet Tubman. We then went on a search of our local library where we came up empty. That's right no books for her age with enough pages she could use. We decided to dig through our extensive collection of books and we hit gold.  I had totally forgotten about the book I bought her on Amelia Earhart. (I actually read the book and it was very informative. It is from a series called Who was.... and I have included a link to the store we purchased it from.)
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/penguin+who+was...series?_requestid=269348

Now to get back to my topic. I love the fact that both of my girls are interested in women's history and about the famous women that have come before them. My oldest has done reports on Women's suffrage and loves learning about the fight for the right to vote. I have always taught me girls that the women in this country fought long and hard to gain us the right to vote and we should not waste that right.  I have also taught them to never support a cause just because it has the word woman attached to it.  We have discussed how not every cause that includes women in the name is morally right. I have tried to instill in them the importance of education and making sure you can take care of yourself, but I have also taught them that marriage to the right man is a wonderful thing.

When I was a little girl I always wanted to be a mommy and stay home taking care of my babies. I always wanted to live on a farm and have a houseful of kids, but the Lord had other plans for me. I actually ended up going to college and getting my degree in Early Childhood Education. I worked for several years in our public school system, but 12 years ago we made the decision that I would stay home. When I say we, I mean myself and my husband. I did not feel forced into it then, nor do I feel forced to do it now. There are times I miss the adult interaction, but I do not feel like I have wasted the last twelve years.

I don't know about the rest of the women like me, but I feel like it is really difficult to raise daughters in these modern times. I want to my daughters to understand the love, honor and respect that comes with being married to the right man, but I also want them to be prepared for life. I have heard stories of women who pray for the right husband, marry who they believe God had just for them and then wind up divorced and trying to raise children on their own.  That is one of the main reasons I push my girls to do well in school and to attend college.  I want them to be able to be self-sufficient if the need should arise. I have actually had someone say that this view is wrong. That I should just be raising them to be housewives, but I just don't believe that. I am trying to raise daughters to be submissive to their husbands as the Bible teaches, but to also be able to take care of themselves.

In this feminist, woman are equal to men society I find myself living in, raising these girls is tough.





No comments:

Post a Comment