Thursday, November 27, 2014

Who am I?

It came to my attention the other night as I was praying at church, that I carry a lot of titles. You might wonder how did that thought occur to me in prayer?  I was praying that the Lord would help me in all the areas of my life and I started to list those off and I was amazed at all the different titles I carry. So, I decided to write this post on that subject, to take a look at each of those titles and how important each one is.

1. I am a Christian: The word Christian means, "to be Christ like".  I know that I will never be perfect as Christ was, but I am to live my life in a way that would be pleasing in his eyes.  I should not strive to please the people of this world, but should do all that I can to please my Lord in Heaven. 

2. I am a wife: I love being a wife. I enjoy the companionship that my husband and I share. We look after one another and he takes very good care of me. I try to make sure that I fit the biblical view of wife by being a submissive one. That in no way means I am a door mat, as so many "liberated" women of today think. It simply means that we are together in our marriage and that I show him the respect due him. He is good to me, so in return I am good to him. Marriage is not 50/50 as I have been told all my life, but 100/100. You both have to give all of yourselves to make it work.

3. I am a mother: The most rewarding title I bear is that of mother.  I feel so blessed to be the mother of 5 precious children.  I have only gotten the chance to hold and love two of them, the other three passed away during pregnancy, but each of them is precious to me and loved tremendously. Am I always perfect at this job, no way, but I do try my best. I think I might have learned a few things over the last almost 15 years of being a mother, but I still have many things to experience. Motherhood is very difficult, but the rewards are amazing.

4. I am a daughter: I guess being the baby of my family and the only girl kind of makes me special. I am normally the one my parents turn to if they need something. I love helping them out, but sometimes it can be extremely difficult.  I am learning lots of new things as they get older, like Medicare enrollment for one thing. I mean why does it have to be so stinking difficult to sign up for government insurance? I think the answer to that question is in the question. (Government)  I am glad that I get to be there to help them when they need me. I remember telling them once that they had better be nice to me, I was going to be picking their nursing home. (HaHaHa!)

5. I am a sister: I most likely have two of the meanest brothers this side of the Atlantic Ocean. They used to torture me and just be flat out evil when I was a little girl. They are eight and six years older than me and I was an unwelcome addition to their family.  We get along really well now and I am thankful that I get to be their sister, even if they do drive me batty at times. I do wish that I would have been able to have a sister growing up, but that just was not meant to be. Thankfully God gave me two wonderful sister-in-laws to fill that empty space that I had.

6.I am a Daughter-in-law: I know that everyone reading this with in-laws knows that sometimes it is not so easy to get along with them. They can be very judgmental and give you a really hard time. Sometimes the things they say can be hurtful and you just have to walk away.  I know that feeling, but still you do have times when you get along and everything is well. Enjoy those times, they can be few and far between. 

7. I am a friend: I try to always be there when my friends need me. It may be just a simple text with something on their minds or a long phone call.  The Bible says in  Proverbs 18:24a (KJV), "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly:....".  I try to be friendly to everyone. There are days that I just don't feel it and let's be honest, there are some people you just have a hard time being friendly to. I still try to make the effort even if they do not, the bad will be on them not me. 

8. I am Tink: This is a title I carry that means so much to me. I have this little girl that came into my life a little of two years ago. She stays with me while her mommy works and has been since she was about 10 weeks old. She calls me Tink. She says I am her Tink and she loves me. I would never have thought it possible to love a child that was not mine as much as my own, but I do. She is a constant source of laughter and always keeps me on my toes. I do not know what I would do without her.

9. I am an American: This title is one that I love. Oh how thankful I am that my ancestors decided so many years ago to come to this new land.  I think of them often and the long voyage across the ocean. I wonder how difficult it must have been and how they felt leaving their homelands behind.  I am also extremely grateful that when they arrived here they went south instead of north. I like my warm weather and am not cut out for winter.   Last month we had the opportunity to travel to the Normandy part of France. It was so amazing to see that part of the world. It was even more amazing to know that I have ancestors who left there and went to England many centuries ago. My sister-in-law traveled to London and was able to bring me back a small sample of English soil. I almost cried, I had a piece of my mother land. It made me feel very even more connected to my ancestry. I am glad to know where I came from, but even more glad to live in America. She may not always do what is right, but she is home and always will be.

10. I am Me: All these things combine together to make me the unique, wonderful and special person that I am today. Each person involved in these titles of me have helped to shape who I am.  I pray each day that I am the best at each of these I can be and that I don't allow my failures to dictate who I am.

There is a title that I no longer carry, but miss terribly and that is grand daughter.  All of my grandparents have passed away and I miss each of them something awful.  I miss their encouragement and advice. I miss all the stories they used to tell.  I miss just being around them and learning from them.  I miss kisses on the jaw and hugs that were always squeezy. I miss times of talking and of just sitting in the quiet. Cherish every moment you have with those you love because one day it will just be memories that you have.


"That's my 'two-cents worth', what's yours?"




No comments:

Post a Comment