Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Empty Chair

As I sit here on this Thanksgiving morning, enjoying the quiet and my first cup of coffee, I can't help but think about how many empty chairs there will be this year.  You may ask what has put me in such a melancholy mood on a day for thankfulness? Truth be told I have been feeling this way for the past week. I have not been able to get in the mood for the holidays. I see all the Christmas stuff in the stores and people's homes already decorated, but I just am struggling with it all.

Recently, as in just 3 weeks ago my Aunt Shirley passed away. We were very close and her passing has greatly affected us. She was my mama's sister and "Aunt Shirtey" to my girls.  Her and my daughter were both diagnosed with cancer three weeks apart, both went through chemo treatments at the same time, both fighting for their lives.  Going through that together gave them a special bond and Grace has been heart broken these last few weeks.  I can understand now how going through something so traumatic together can create that bond between people.

We will all miss her presence this year, as well as all the others that have left this world behind.  We as a family have went through much loss, grief and sorrow over the past few years. I think of my Grandfather and how he would have loved a grape soda and Bojangles sweet potato pie today, they were his favorites. My husband confided that he has been thinking about his mama and brother not being with us.  I think of my babies that are not with us.  I think of my other grandparents, my Aunt Gertie, Uncle Lee, Uncle Billy, Uncle Wayne and Uncle Harvey, they are all missed so very much.

I  know that there are so many families that will have an empty chair this year. That place at the table that is just waiting to be filled, but never will. I ask that we all say a prayer this year for those families.  It doesn't matter if the loss is recent or years passed, that family member will still be missed.

So as you enjoy your family time together stop just a moment to think about and pray for those missing a loved one and that empty chair at their tables.



"That's my 'two-cents worth', what's yours?"






No comments:

Post a Comment