Thursday, April 11, 2013

Well, here it goes, my very first blog. Blogging has been something I've thought about for a few months, but just never took the time for. I have no idea how it will go, what will come of it, or if I will even have any followers, but it's time to step out of my comfort zone and do something different.  

After naming my blog I started wondering what does the phrase "my two cents" worth mean and where did it come from? After a quick search of Wikipedia I found what I believe to be a good explanation. 

First, lets look at the origin of the phrase.  According to Wikipedia, the phrase "my two cents worth" takes its origin from card games, in which betting is required, such as pokerTo participate in such games a person must provide an ante, or bet, before playing. This makes the analogy between participating in a game and participating in a conversation. 

Wikipedia also suggests that its origin could be from the early postage cost  in England, being the "twopenny post". Although there are many ideas of how this phrase got started, I am certain we will never truly know. 

Now to look at the meaning of this very familiar phrase.  Again according to Wikipedia the phrase means exactly what I thought, to give your opinion on a matter. 

 For me it is a saying that I have heard all my life. As a young girl growing up in the south, surrounded by elderly family members and the elderly of my community, I came to associate the saying with giving someone your opinion or your way of thinking on a subject.  So basically that's what my blog will be about, my opinion or way of thinking on all kinds of topics.  I don't know how often I will write, daily or weekly, who knows.  I do know that there are a lot of topics out there that I'm interested in or passionate about. There will be times when I want to discuss things or just times when I want to rant. I feel the need to warn you ahead of time that we may not always agree, in fact, I'm sure of that. That being said, I hope that you enjoy my postings, get a good laugh from time to time and learn something new. 


 So that's "my two cents worth", what's yours? 





No comments:

Post a Comment