Saturday, April 27, 2013

Good-bye Winter, Hello Summer!


Growing up in the south has been an interesting part of my life. I love everything about it from tractors on the main road to the hot summer nights sitting on the porch swing. I have always considered it to be a blessing to be “Southern” and also a North Carolinian. By far one of my favorite/not so favorite things about living here is our good “ole” North Carolina weather. (It is what I would call a love/hate relationship.) Having never lived in any other place I can't speak for other areas, but here in NC it often feels as if we skip some of our seasons all together or at times it seems we even repeat them. For instance, we often go straight from winter into summer and sometimes we will go from fall to summer then back to fall again. People around these parts often complain about our weather, when they do we just respond with, “Welcome to North Carolina!”. As I sat here drinking my coffee and eating one of my southern favorites, a Krispy Kreme doughnut, I have been thinking about how our weather has been lately. I bet your saying, “Please not a blog about the weather!”, well I hate to disappoint, but it is. When our resident groundhog predicted six more weeks of winter, we were hoping he was wrong, but it turns out, he was right. You see, it's not unusual around here to have some warm, pretty days during the winter, but this year that just didn't happen. That being said, it seemed as if winter would never come to an end, but about two weeks ago it did and we jumped straight into 80 degree days. We hit a hot spell like you wouldn't believe. The days and nights were so warm, you could hardly think and we were using our A/C like crazy. We stayed that way for about a 10 days and then something happened, it turned cold again. In fact it felt as if we had gone to fall and the mornings were brisk and cool. Since then we have turned off our air and turned on the heat (again). Now we are having to use our heat in the mornings and at night and our air during the day.

I'm sure this coming July when the temps. reach 98 degrees and the humidity is 100%, I will be longing for these nice “cool” 60 degree temperatures, but for now, I'm happy to report that it finally feels like spring here in North Carolina.

Remember, I told you it was a love/hate relationship.



That's my “two cents worth”, what's yours?   




No comments:

Post a Comment