Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Battle: It has begun!

Let me start off by saying what a week we have had, it has been unbelievable! Let me fill you in on the events of the week: 


 Our daughter had her surgery on Monday to put in her port, she did great and had no problems. The site is still a little sore, but they say that is normal for about the first week.  She also had a bone marrow biopsy done which came back negative. That was a huge blessing and much needed good news. She was admitted to the hospital on Monday afternoon and began her first chemo treatment. It really zapped her, she got sick on her stomach, but thank the Lord she had no throwing up.  When her doctor came to visit on Tuesday he said she did so good they were going to move up her treatment time for that day. She was so pitiful that night, just tired and grouchy. In fact she was out by 9:00 and she slept almost the whole night, only waking up a few times. On Wednesday the doctor was so proud of her and how well she was doing they moved up her last treatment and let her come home a day early. We were so happy!! She was very excited to come home and sleep in her own bed. 

On Thursday, she went to school for the whole day and that took a lot of her energy. She came home did her home work and spent the rest of the night laying on the couch.  She only went to school 1/2 a day on Friday, she had to get an injection to help build up her WBC (white blood cell) and RBC (red blood cell) counts. She felt good enough last night to go spend the night with her grandmother and I'm glad she was able to. 

I have to admit that my anxiety level has been greatly reduced. It was so hard for me to sit here at the house day after day knowing that this horrible cancer was in her body and there wasn't anything being done. From the time of diagnosis to the time she began her first treatment was 10 days. I have to say that was the longest 10 days of my life!! I have never been a patient person, but I have had to learn to have some through this whole process.  She has one more chemo treatment on Monday and that will complete her first round of therapy. She will get a couple of weeks off and then start the process all over again. After that they will repeat her scans and see how the cancer is responding. We are praying it will all be gone and she will be in complete remission. It is a very long wait for me!!  Just knowing she is being treated and getting medicine makes me feel so much better, but there is still the anxiety of the unknown and I believe that is just the mother  in me. I know that the Lord is working in all of this. He is not only working in our daughter, but in our lives as well. I ask that you please continue to hold her up in prayer, it is greatly appreciated. 



No comments:

Post a Comment