Sunday, February 9, 2014

Snow Days!!


Around these parts we hardly ever get a snow day. Sometimes we can go for a few years and never have a day out of school for bad weather, but this year we missed several days. Can you say crazy mama!?! Don't get me wrong, I love the kids having a chance to miss school for snow, but just not so many at once. Being out so much meant being stuck in the house for several days and having to fight the kids to keep them inside. Typically around here when it snows it warms up the next day and it melts. Well this past time it snowed that was not the case, it was so cold that you really couldn't even let the kids outside in it. We had to wait until almost dinner (lunch) time before we could even get outside. Some of you out there know what I'm talking about when I say these kids were going crazy to get out in it.  Of course we did go out and play for a little while. We even managed to build a snowman even though the snow was very powdery.  My youngest wanted to name her snowman Olaf, for obvious reasons, so that is what we did.  The educator in me did pop out when we were watching how long it would take Olaf to melt, it was an experiment of sorts. It took him exactly 4 days to completely disappear, my daughter was not happy.  Before he melted we took a small ball of snow and placed it in our freezer, that way if we get any more snow we can use that for the next Olaf to have a heart. During the actual falling of the snow on Tuesday we placed a cooking pot outside, caught a lot of snow and then my hubby made snow creme. It is something he has done every year and also that his brother and him did together as children.  My brother-in-law is no longer with us, but it felt as if he was while we were eating our snow creme.  The weather man says that we may get some more snow next week, in fact one computer model says it could be over 9 inches, that is not the weather forecast I want to hear.  I am really looking forward to spring. I love getting outside, planting flowers and getting my hands dirty, but for now I will just have to take the cold and snow and enjoy the memories that I can make with my family.
 
 

 
 
 

 


 
 










"That's my 'two-cents worth', what's yours?"






 

No comments:

Post a Comment