Saturday, December 20, 2014

Family Chirstmases

As I was sitting here in the glow of the Christmas tree lights, drinking my coffee and checking out that box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts that my wonderful friend brought me yesterday, I started thinking about my day and what all needed to be done. I remembered that we have one of our first family get togethers of this Christmas season tonight. Praise the Lord it is at a local restaurant so there will be no cooking or clean up for me. (I love it when that happens!) Anyway, I started thinking about how our family all use to get together at my Grandmothers house every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. All of the Aunts, Uncles and cousins would show up ready to eat and visit for a while. It eventually got to the point were my Grandmother just couldn't do both holidays so everyone started having Thanksgiving at their own house, but we still went to Grandma's for Christmas.  I remember how exciting it was to see everyone and hear all about what had been going on and that had happened to them.  The food was always so good and everyone worked together to make the meal a success. Then my Grandma got sick and was not able to have Christmas at her house. That was sad for me, but everyone would still stop by and visit just because it was Christmas.  On December 18, 2000 my Grandma passed away and we did not have any Christmas gatherings for a few years. Some of the family decided they wanted to try and get as many of us together as possible so my cousin opened her home to us and we started having Christmas together again.  It was so nice to see everyone. It seemed that we had all grown apart as I grew older. I understand that people get married, have children, move away and it makes life more "complicated", but I always looked forward to our family gathering.  Years have passed, we have many new people that have joined the family, some by marriage and some by birth. In fact I have a brand new baby cousin that was just born one week ago today. I have only seen pictures of her, but she is very cute. I was hoping to see her tonight, but the doctor does not want her out so soon with all the germs that are running about.  I am not sure how many people will be there tonight. My Aunts and Uncles are all getting older and not able to travel like they once did. Some people have other get togethers to go to and some people are having to work. I do look forward to seeing the ones that are able to be there. I think we should all try to see each other at least once a year. We have to face the fact that there will come a time when not many of us (the original set) will be left. I wonder if our children will still get together? Will the cousins even know each other anymore?  Will there be any of the Hicks family that will still be together? I certainly hope so! I know that we have not always seen eye to eye. There have been struggles and squabbles as all families have, but we have always risen above them to remain a family and I hope for the sake of my children we always will.


"That's my 'two-cents worth' what's yours?"




No comments:

Post a Comment