Saturday, March 26, 2016

His Grace is Sufficient

The only way I know to start this post is by defining the main words, Grace and Sufficient. When you look to the dictionary you will find that Grace has several meanings, but the one I want to use is the one for the Christian. 

The definition is this:
 the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings.

Now lets look at the definition of sufficient: enough, adequate.   

Seeing both of these words together reminds me of the story of the Apostle Paul in the Bible. Paul has, what he referred to in 2 Corinthians 12:7-9, a thorn in the flesh. 

2 Corinthians 12:7-9  (KJV)

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Some people believe that his "thorn" was bad eyesight from years of reading and writing while in prison. I am not sure what it may have been, but I know that each of us at some point in our lives will experience our own  personal "thorn in the flesh". 
My first experience with God's grace was when I asked him to save me in August of 2005.  I can remember it so well. I am normally a talker,but that night on the way home from church I was really quiet. After getting my daughter to bed, I talked with my husband about it and we knelt in our bedroom floor. It was right then and there that Jesus came into my heart, forgave me of my sins and made me a new creature. As I continued on with my life journey there have been many times that I have needed his Grace. During each miscarriage, our daughters battle with cancer, money problems, etc., the list goes on and on.  Each time we prayed and sought the Lord and he always provides a way for us.

Here is when I have to say that there may be some out there, like the Apostle Paul (and yes, me as well) who will never lose their "thorn in the flesh". For me I know that I will carry my thorn for the rest of my life. I am certain I will never lose it and it will never leave me. It is a hurt that will be my constant companion. Do I notice it everyday? No. There are days that the routine of life keeps it in check. Then all of a sudden I will have what I call a "trigger" making that thorn almost unbearable. (Notice I said almost.) When that happens I just have myself a good, cleansing cry while I pray and I get through it.  

That is what I mean by His Grace is Sufficient. It does not matter if your situation is physical, financial, spiritual, or even mental/emotional. Whatever we face daily or live with forever, the Lord is always there with his Grace to give us the strength to keep going. It is in truth, the free and unmerited favor of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment