Monday, March 14, 2016

The Breastfeeding Debate

First off let me say I don't even know why we are having a breastfeeding debate. I mean is it such a big deal that people have to just keep talking about it? After some thought on that question, I realized it is not breastfeeding that is the issue, but how women do it.

Let me begin by saying that I believe that breast is best. I breastfeed both of my daughters, the oldest until she was 8 months old (I had to stop then, those 8 teeth were killing me) and my youngest until she was 14 months old.  It was an experience that I was delighted to be able to have. Not only did it create an even stronger bond between us, but neither of them were sickly when they were small.  My doctor told me that most women lose weight when breastfeeding, sadly for me that was not true, but I did once I stopped. If you google the benefits of breastfeeding you will get so many sites and so many benefits. Benefits for baby, benefits for mommy, the list just goes on and on.  It was so many that I decided to just list what I would call my top 10 benefits.

My Top 10 Benefits of Breastfeeding:
1. It contains antibodies that help your baby fight off viruses and bacteria.
2. Babies who are breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months, without any formula, have fewer  ear infections, respiratory illnesses, and bouts of diarrhea.
3. The physical closeness, skin-to-skin touching, and eye contact all help your baby bond with you and feel secure
4.Breast milk provides the ideal nutrition for infants. It has a nearly perfect mix of vitamins, protein, and fat -- everything your baby needs to grow.
5.Breastfeeding also lowers your risk of breast and ovarian cancer. 
6.It is expensive to buy and measure formula, sterilize nipples, or warm bottles, it saves you time and money.
7.Breastfeeding your baby around the clock—no bottles or formula— will delay ovulation, which means delayed menstruation. 
8.Mothers who breastfeed are less likely to develop osteoporosis later in life
9.Breast milk is more digestible than formula
10. Breast milk acts like a natural tranquilizer for baby. 

I consider myself blessed and fortunate that I was able to do this for my babies and I understand that not all women are able to. I have known women who have tried, but just couldn't produce enough milk for their baby. I understand that some women just don't have the time and even some don't want to. I think it is a each and their own decision to make. It really aggravates me to see women put one another down because of it. Why should we make other women feel guilty about nursing? What if the issue is medical and they can't? I know if that had been the case for me I would have felt like a bad mother if I had that venom aimed at me.  I do believe if you can, you should. Even if it is only for a couple of weeks.The early milk, colostrum, has all types of antibodies in it,made just for baby. 

Now to the actual debate part. 


I do not really believe that anyone in this country is against a woman breastfeeding her children.  I think that they way it is being presented is the problem. I can remember being in public places and needing to feed my children. I would always use a blanket or something thin to cover myself up. That way the baby got fed and the covering was thin enough not to effect the baby being able to breathe. What I see today are women who think just because they breastfeed they have the right to sit in public with their breast exposed while they feed their baby. Let me just say that is not classy!!! Have some consideration and respect for those around you. I am not saying you have to go to the car or even the bathroom, you can still sit comfortably at the table or wherever you are, just cover it up! I have never seen such a society of people that have the "I can do whatever I want and there is nothing you can do about it" attitude.  The fact is I can do something about it. I can take my family and walk out.  I don't have to sit and be disrespected by anyone. Just because you can show your breast to the whole world, doesn't mean you should.  I honestly believe some women choose to breastfeed just so they can show their boobs in public they way they do.  I guess they just want to be seen, that they need that attention to feel good about themselves, or maybe they just want to see if they can stir something up.  

I am sure my opinion on this will not be taking well by all, but the fact is that it is my opinion and my blog. I do call it My Two Cents Worth for a reason. 



"That's my 'two-cents worth', whats yours?"






No comments:

Post a Comment