Saturday, May 11, 2013

Honor Thy Mother

As I sat here this afternoon listening to the sounds of my six year old daughter and our dog looking for lizards, I begin to think about the word mother and what it means.  I looked it up and according to my Webster's Dictionary it means, "1. female parent; 2. source".  That was all that it said and to me that seemed pretty slack.  That simple definition doesn't even begin to define what a mother is. In my opinion the word mother means the following, "unselfish, kind, unconditional love, adviser, giver, hard-worker, listener, doctor, teacher, cook, maid, someone who will tell you that your wrong, etc.", the list can go on and on.

When I think about my definition, I can't help but think about my own mother.  When we were growing up she worked a full time job (outside the home) then had to work full time in the home.  She would often work overtime just to save extra money for vacations, Christmas and to send my brothers to Boy Scout Camp.   When my oldest brother was disabled in a car accident in September of 1988, our mother took on the full time responsibility of caring for him.  The years have taking their toll on her physically, but she has never quit or giving up.  She has fought for him relentlessly, to make sure he has everything he needs to live a full, happy and healthy life.  She is a shining example to me and my daughters of what being a mother/grandmother truly is.

Tomorrow is the second Sunday of May, the day set aside to celebrate and honor our mothers and all they do for us.  A young woman by the name of Anna Jarvis worked tirelessly until she was able to convince people that mother's should have a special day.  In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson declared this day an official national holiday.  There were several attempts to create this special day, including one by Julia Ward Howe in the 1870's, before the workings of Miss Jarvis proved fruitful. 
 
As a side note, the first Sunday in May is International Bereaved Mothers Day. This day is not officially a holiday, but it is a day of remembrance  for those of us (like me) who have lost a child to death. 

So remember, if your mother is still living, take the time to celebrate and honor her.  There will come a time when she will no longer be with you and your chance will be gone.



"That's my "two cents worth", what's your?"



No comments:

Post a Comment