Sunday, June 5, 2016

Objects in Mirror.....

As the 11th anniversary of my 29th birthday draws closer and closer, I have begun to look at life in a whole new way.  I have always been one to look for adventure and opportunity in the everyday, but just something about this birthday year has made me look at things even deeper.  I guess the thought of turning the big 40 kind of puts things into perspective.

Riding down the road one day I looked over at the side mirror on my van and saw the writing, "Objects in Mirror are closer than they appear."  I know that is a warning for us to make sure we are paying attention.  It is a statement that lets us know that things are a lot closer to us than they may seem.  Of course, reading that got me to thinking about life and how close certain events are to happening, which of course led to the writing of this post.


So, I decided to do was make a list of the "objects" that are close to happening or happening right now in my life and my thoughts on them.

1. I am turning 40 this year! What? How is that even possible? It feels as if I was just in high school last week. The years have truly flown by, but at least I have done a lot of living and made a lot of memories along this wild and crazy journey.

2. My oldest daughter is graduating in two years and going to college in three! Yes, you read that right and if everything works out like she has it planned she will be taking online college classes for her final two years of high school. It seems like only yesterday that I was holding that little new born in my arms. The years have been quick and I do get a little teary eyed thinking about her not being home with me, but at the same time I am so excited about what the future holds for her. We know all too well that life is not certian for any of us and we are very thankful that she is still alive.

3. I notice more "crinkles" than I use too! When I look in the mirror I see these fine little lines around my eyes. I refuse to call them wrinkles! Everyone of those little lines reminds me of time when I was happy and full of laughter. They may not be what society considers beautiful, but to me that indicate my full and happy life, which is a thing of beauty.

4. Losing weight and maintaining that loss are much harder to do! I would never have thought that my weight loss would be so difficult.  It really is true that your metabolism drops as you age,  but thankfully I recently discovered a program that has allowed me to lose thirteen pounds. It is not only an exercise plan,but also a meal plan. Hopefully it will teach me how to eat healthy and to take care of my body.

5. There is a time to give up on some dreams and find new ones. Unfortunately for all of us there are those times when we have to give up on something. I know for me this dream was a part of my life for so long and leaving it behind was very difficult.  I hope and pray for each of us that as we have to say goodbye to those dreams that God will replace them with other dreams and give us peace in our goodbyes.

6. Everyone that I know is also aging! So many that I have known personally or those I have grown up watching on TV/listening to on the radio are passing away.  It seems as if I spend more time now at funerals or funeral homes than I ever have, that each day another piece of my childhood or youth is gone and each loss is felt more keenly than the one before.

7. And that life really is like a box of chocolates. Forrest Gump's Mama was absolutely right. In life you never know what is coming your way, you just have to take each thing and make the best of it that you can.

I don't want this birthday to bring me down or make me sad. Have I seen and done everything I wanted to do? No, not by a long shot, but I have seen some amazing places and done some pretty awesome things.  I am ready to celebrate my 40th birthday. I want to take some time to look back over my 40 years of living and then I want to start looking forward to what the next 40 will bring.





"That's my "two-cents worth",  what's yours?" 







No comments:

Post a Comment