Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Steel Magnolia

I guess the first thing I think of when reading this title is the movie, Steel Magnolias. I absolutely love that movie.  It gives us an intimate look into the lives of  six southern women, It allows us to witness the bond that they share, the highs and lows in their lives and the private things that most people would never see
Being from the south, born and raised in the best part of America, I can tell you for a fact that movie is accurate. We Southern women have a unique way of seeing and dealing with life. Do I consider myself a steel magnolia? I guess first off you would have to know exactly what that means. 

The following is the definition given by the dictionary. 

steel-magnolia:

Noun(chiefly Southern US) A woman who exemplifies both traditional femininity as well as an uncommon fortitude.Origin: Combining the contrasting images of steel, a hard metal, and magnolia, a flower.(plural steel magnolias)


A Steel Magnolia is a woman who has dealt with issues in her life that would have knocked a weaker woman to the ground.  She is strong, resilient and able to deal with tremendous amounts of pressure.She will stand up for those she loves and fight to the death for them. She is stubborn, hard headed and sometimes just plain ornery, but we love her anyway. She can have a mean streak two feet wide, fight with the best of them and work just like a man. She stands facing the storms of life, ready to do battle against whatever may come.  That is what makes her steel, but that is not all that she is.  She is also soft and tender.  She has a loving heart and can be easily hurt.  She is compassionate to the plight of others and always willing to lend a hand, even if it causes her emotional hurt in the process.  She is outgoing, kind and eager to make a difference in this world.  She will love her family even when they are wrong. She may seem tough, but she will shed tears when she needs to.These are what makes her a magnolia. 

How is it possible to be both hard and soft at the same time?  That is something that really can't be explained, it is just how it goes.  I guess now I can say for sure that I am a Steel Magnolia, raised in a family of Steel Magnolias. In fact I would have to say most of the women I know are Steel Magnolias, even the one that lives up north.  

So ladies, you don't have to be the let them walk all over you type. You can be tough if you need to be, but still gentle and loving at the same time. You can be a Steel Magnolia. 


As a side note: For any of you who haven't seen the movie, I suggest that you watch it.  It is one of my favorites and also one of the best ever made. Of course, that is only my opinion. 








"That's my 'two-cents worth', what's yours?"



No comments:

Post a Comment