Saturday, June 29, 2013

Fur Babies: Great Comforters

I had no idea that as I wrote my blog on prayer last week how badly I would be in need less than 48 hours later. The reason is not something I wish to talk about publicly just yet, that will be a topic for a later blog.  What I want to talk about today is my fur baby.

What amazes me is the fact of how in-tuned to my emotional needs my little dog Dixie has been. She has always been my little shadow, but the last few days she has been my constant companion.  We brought her home on a September day in 2004. She was such a little bitty thing and at the time we didn't know for sure what kind of dog she was. In fact we're still not 100% sure, but we do know she has some Jack Russell terrier and Poodle blood in her.

As I said, she has been right with me the entire week, she lays with me on the coach. If I have been in bed, she lays on the floor by my bedside and when I move, she moves. She follows me all over the house and even when I go outside.  It is so strange that she is able to pick up on how I feel and that she has tried so hard to make me feel better and to comfort me the only way she knows how.

I can see how dogs can make such an impact on our lives and our health. I don't need them to do countless studies on the benefits of owning a pet. I can speak from first hand experience. I have to admit that sometimes she gets on my nerves with her high pitch bark, but she believes herself to be our protector and defender and I love her for that.

If you have a pet do all you can to protect them, care for them, and love them. There is no limit to the love and comfort they can show you. I honestly believe that God brings our pets into our lives to do exactly that and I believe that God expects us to do the same for them. In fact the bible says in Proverbs 12:10a, A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast:. 

So grab your pet and give them a big hug today and maybe even a special treat, they deserve it for all the "good" they do for us.

"That's my "two cents worth", what's yours?"












No comments:

Post a Comment