Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Terribles

This weekends blog post should bring some reality and a little laughter to your day. I think back to when my first born was almost two years old and what they called the Terrible Twos set in. Oh my goodness, what a trying time that was for me.  I took some comfort from the fact that her pediatrician explained that all children go through the same stage. When our second child was almost two I expected the same thing, but her experience was much different than her sister.  She was not quite as bad. One day during a conversation with my mother we were talking about the little girl that I babysit during the day and how she was beginning the stage of the Terrible Twos. During our conversation we talked about how we knew some adults that never grew out of the Terrible Twos.

After hanging up the phone with her, I really got to thinking about that idea. I mean do any of us ever really grow out of the terribles? Sure we become adults, live in the adult world and act like adults for the most part, but do we ever really get out of that I want it now stage?

Some of us live each day the best we can, striving to be the best we can be in all situations. Still when we have worked on and planned something and it doesn't work out. When we have prayed and ask continually for something and it goes the other way, we may find our selves exhibiting The Terribles. Our attitudes get bad, we fuss, sulk and just act like little children.  Should we? Of course not, but I think it is just the way we as humans are. Then after some time for contemplation we realize that things don't always go our way. We get back to our "normal" selves and go on with life.

Of course there are the other types of adults who literally act like children. When things don't go their way they pitch hissy fits and tantrums. They never grow up and insist on making other peoples lives miserable. I mean they have to know what they look and sound like.  I am sure in their minds they have what seems to be a perfectly good reason for what they do, but whatever the reason they have for their actions, it is still ridiculous! Nobody wants to spend time with someone like this and  they only do it if they are the same way or they have no choice.

I know all of us have times when we want to just lay in the floor, kick, scream and just act out, but we can't. I mean what the world be like if everyone reacted to life like a two year old?

So no matter your age or stage of life The Terribles will still be there, you just have to be prepared to make sure they don't get the upper hand.





"That's my 'two-cents worth', what's yours?"



No comments:

Post a Comment